The Yucatan Peninsula lies on the southern tip of Mexico, protruding north east towards Florida, and separates the Gulf of Mexico from the Caribbean Sea.
It was once inhabited with a strong Mayan culture, which makes it a popular photogenic region. More impressive, however, are the many beaches that line the region’s shores.
The scenic coastline stretches for miles, and is home to dozens of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Getting around is easy, with some spots even offering golf carts for rent!
This part of the world is known as a popular hot spot for tropical vacations, school breaks, and travel.
So let’s take a look at the top 10 beaches that the Yucatan Peninsula has to offer!
10. Cozumel – Tourists have a choice when they decide on which Cozumel beach to visit. On the west side of the island, low winds result in calm, peaceful waters. If you are looking for more activity, the east side of the island faces strong winds, making it ideal for surfing and sailing. Cozumel is home to several resorts located only feet from the shore.
9. Playa Del Carmen – This beach is by far the largest and most populated on the Yucatan Peninsula. It is miles long, and definitely one of the most beautiful destinations in the tropics. The Main Beach consist of white sand and runs parallel to the city, making it at a very short walk from any hotel you may stay at.
8. Isla Holbox – Isla Holbox is a secluded island that has become popular with tourists who are looking just to “get away” for a while. The island’s north shore is a seven mile uninterrupted beach that faces the Gulf of Mexico. This provides still, warm waters, and a wonderful, peaceful view. The beach is ideal for kayaking, fishing, wind surfing, and other relaxing activities.
7. Xpu Ha – A little known spot, yet one of the most scenic, Xpu Ha Beach is located south of Playa Del Carmen. This beach is home to abundant wildlife and is perfect for snorkelling. The beach is white sand with natural vegetation, and is only feet from popular spa resorts.
6. Isla Mujeres – A half hour boat ride from Cancun is the island of Isla Mujeres. This island is for the more relaxed traveler, offering beaches that are less crowded and have calmer waters. Golf carts can be rented as a way to get around this small island, and there is even a turtle farm worth a visit.
5. Cancun – Regarded for its active night life, Cancun is a popular spot for students on spring break. Its waters are ideal for swimmers and sports as they are mostly calm with no undertows. Although snorkelling off the shore is not ideal, there are several caves and underwater pits that are perfect for it on the beach’s southern side.
4. Akumal – This growing beach community is home to both large wave shores, and calmer, more kid friendly areas. It is a popular spot for both tourists and locals. Private sections of the beach are clearly marked, and this area is great for snorkelling. Sea turtles thrive here, and the underwater coral life is flowing.
3. Kentenah– In the same area as Akumal is a secluded beach named Kentenah. Because it is in the same region, this beach is also perfect for snorkelling, and its seclusion makes it ideal for anyone who just wants a little privacy. It is within walking distance from resorts and spas, and not very well known to tourists, yet is completely open to the public.
2. Tulum – If you are interested in Mayan culture and history, Tulum beach is home to spectacular Mayan ruins. Its shore is calm and quiet, and tends to have more of a relaxing feel. The beach runs parallel to several beach clubs, which offer amenities such as food and drink, bathrooms, changing rooms, and lockers.
1. Xcalak – Xcalak is a must visit for anyone touring the area, because it has remained virtually untouched for hundreds of years. This beach is deep white sand, and is considered to be one of the best in the region. It is perfect for snorkelling, water sports and sunbathing. There is a small fee of 20 pesos per person, but once you are let in, you have free range.
The Yucatan Peninsula is a popular travel destination for tourism world-wide. Whether you are looking for a day of surfing, or just to relax in the sun, this area is perfect for any vacation!